Sunday, May 27, 2012

forever always unending

It can be so simple and natural to react with gratitude, faith, adoration to God when a need or desire we have, has been met or fulfilled.  Like it says in the Proverbs, 'a desire unfulfilled makes the heart sick, but a desire fulfilled brings life' (my rough recollection)  And there is nothing wrong with having this appropriate response when we see His answer to our prayers and even our longings!  Even people who claim to have no faith in God, will often in a moment of relief proclaim, "Thank God!"

But then there is the flip-side:  what about when we pray, we pray A LOT, we stand in faith, and we don't see the answer we are looking for?  It can feel like God doesn't hear us, or that He doesn't care so much.  The seeming silence can feel like a dark, lonely cave.  This is such a difficult thing for every believer, and yet it's something we must learn if we want our faith to be genuine.  When I pray, whether a simple desire or a serious need, and whatever answer God gives (or whatever seeming "silence" I encounter)-- I want to come out of that still saying, "God you are good and I trust in You.  You are the Father of lights and there is no shifting shadow in You." And I want to keep pouring out my desires and/or needs until He shows that He has a different desire for me,  a better way (maybe I cannot see that it is better, but He knows what the future holds and He knows what it is better).  Or, I want to keep pouring out my desires and/or needs until I see the fruit of my prayers. And most of all, I want to keep God in high regard, not questioning His character, but believing that He is who He says He is.  I believe that that is what brings a shift in the way we follow Him.

In the past, when I was praying for something and not seeing any results, it often sent me spinning down.  Into doubt, confusion,  sometimes even depression, loneliness.  I lost sight of God.  But this is a lesson that I, and we also as a married couple, are learning.  When we are praying and we don't see the results, we steady our feet on our Firm Foundation (God) and we say: 

God we trust in You.  We will trust in You.  You are our Firm Foundation.  You are the Giver of Life.  You are the Most Wise One.  You are the Most High One.  You are the One we choose for.  And our choice is a visible sign of our worship to You.  God, we trust You.  You know our needs and our desires.  Lord, we thank You for your care.  We believe You will never leave us or forsake us.  Father, we love You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

say something!